A Poem as Lovely as a TREE!


This morning I got an e mail newsletter from my friend and health counselor Sacha Jones telling me that over the next few years, New York City is going to be planting a million trees. That's great news on its own, but it gets better: We get to help decide where! Go directly here if you want to cut to the chase and put in your vote. I did; it took me about a minute. Wouldn't it be nice to have a new tree on your block? Not to mention the extra pollution and CO2 filtering effect and the oxygen. And the birds. Red-tailed hawks and even a Great horned owl have been spotted in nearby Tompkin's Square Park. And the shade! And the spring buds. And standing under a tree in the rain.

Perhaps I'm feeling even more passionate about trees than usual because a tornado took down a huge maple tree in front of my childhood home (and still my home) in South Jersey a couple of weeks ago.

If you'd like more information you can visit the Million Trees Project.

If anyone out there has a great picture of a tree, or trees, or a tree-related image taken in one of the five boroughs that I could use to decorate this blog entry, I'd be grateful (and certainly give you credit)

Photosynthesis Is A Beautiful Thing!

Update: My good friend Constance Ash answered my call for tree photos with the two you see in this entry. The top was taken by her in Washington Square Park in April 2006, the one below was taken on 9/11. Thank you Constance. Both inspire.


Comments

Foxessa said…
N. believes trees are in a conspiracy to aggravate his allergies.

Love, C.

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Lorenzo DuFau and the USS Mason

“A thing is mighty big when time and distance cannot shrink it”—Zora Neale Hurston