Santa-dote



In an attempt to provide an antidote to some of the syrupy (and fake) nonsense that goes on at Christmas time, and to provide some dark humor for those out there who dread the holidays, I'm leaving our regularly scheduled program to bring you Santa-dote. Last year I wrote about St. Nicholas Day, and how it has a dark side (if you check that link out, take some time for David Sedaris's "Six to Eight Black Men"). This year Santa Claus, who is a direct American descendant of St. Nicholas, gets a bit of a drubbing. I have nothing against Santa, just think that if you look at him from a certain perspective, he can seem frightening, absurd, or just damn funny.


I had this conversation with my mom the other day where we were sort of taking issue with old Santa Claus. She said that nowadays they've got him running around Germany, amok, which would be fine with her, if he weren't an American invention. German kids are supposed to get their gifts from the Kristkind, the Christ Child, not a sometimes scary chuckling chubby man in a red suit. I mean, look at these guys: Would you want your kids sitting on their laps?

And because laughing at screaming kids sitting on Santa's lap never gets old (at least for me, who has no children, but I suspect there are some of you out there with children who find it funny, too) here's a link to more.


For something higher up on the humor chain, listen to an excerpt from David Sedaris's Santaland Diaries at NPR. His version of "Away in the Manger" sung like Billie Holiday is worth the listen.

I'm adding back the awfulness that I had in here before, but felt guilty about and took out because they are two classics that are just too good to withhold.










That's all I have. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Lorenzo DuFau and the USS Mason

“A thing is mighty big when time and distance cannot shrink it”—Zora Neale Hurston