Lent

When I was kid, I was always encouraged to give something up for Lent. My mom would suggest we choose something that would be not so easy, like candy or our favorite television program (not that we were allowed to watch more than a couple of hours on the boob tube when we were young). Of course, we'd try to slide by with something that was easy to give up because we never really cared about it in the first place. The trick was to make everyone think it was a pretty important sacrifice. If you picked broccoli, or any vegetable or good-for-you food, you were sure to be shot down. Same went for an activity that you could live without--badminton or ping pong, for instance. You had to prove that you would feel it if it went missing.

I can't remember what my choices were as a child, or even as an adult. Which started me thinking some time ago about the entire concept of giving something up. I know it's supposed to make you a better person somehow, and I'm not knocking it--I just didn't know if my choice of sacrifice was improving me in any way.

Some years ago, I decided to scuttle the idea of giving something up for Lent in favor of doing acts of charity and kindness. I try to do something throughout the year (with more or less success, depending), but I've in the past several years made a particular effort during the Lenten season. This year, I'm going to change it up. I'm going to bring back an aspect of giving something up and combine it with a good deed. Until Palm Sunday, I will be volunteering my editing/writing skills to any of my close friends who might need them. Be it a letter, e mail, resume, cover letter, school paper (within limits!) grant, short story, essay--whatever--as long as it's legal, I'll do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr. Lorenzo DuFau and the USS Mason

“A thing is mighty big when time and distance cannot shrink it”—Zora Neale Hurston